Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Social Networking

On June 23 I attended my first meeting of Professional Women's Network http://pwnscal.ning.com/
and enjoyed meeting some outstanding women professionals. 
Here is a follow-up note I created for the attendees. 

Greetings to all you wonderful women. I have a few ideas to pass on but first my sincere thanks to Victoria and Kym for an outstanding overview of social networking. If I wasn't convinced that this is a necessary addition to my marketing plan (and, indeed free), I would be now.

On that subject:

AN INVITATION
For those who want an in depth intro to starting/expanding/utilizing your social networking options, I'm offering a one-time training using LinkedIn as the example of how all this works. The meeting for this will be Friday morning, July 10, 7:30 AM at the Rancho Park Golf Club meeting house (at Patricia and Pico Blvd). If you are interested in joining us (the special fee for this event is 20 bucks, including breakfast), then please sign up by visiting the Network LA site on meetup la (here's the link):
http://www.meetup.com/The-Los-Angeles-Network-LA-Meetup-Group/calendar/?__force_urlname=true

If this link doesn't work, then subscribe to meetup and you can find Network LA and register for the meeting that way: http://www.meetup.com/

Below are some pearls of wisdom by category so skip what you know:

GOOGLE ALERTS & LEARNING NEW THINGS:
If you go to google alerts: http://www.google.com/alerts
you can register or log in and enter some key words and receive a daily log of articles containing those words. So, if you want more info on the whys and hows of social networking, then those are you key words. You'll find tons of free materials for your use (also a lot of sign up and buy me, which you can skip, really). Almost everything you need to know about these sites is within the sites themselves in the tutorials. It's amazing how much free material there is and how much folks are paying for the same information. The best use of your $$ is to have a tutorial in person or on a webinar so you can apply your learning immediately. Plowing through the tutorials requires some knowledge of the lingo these sites use in common and that take some time.

More on Google Alerts in another email.

CONSTANT CONTACT:
Are you sending e'zines (electronic magazines)? If not, then that needs to be added to your to-do list. Social networking alone is not enough to foster your client base and keep you on their minds.
That said, I am adding you to my ezine list. You can email me back declining, decline when you receive the first ezine or help yourself to the info I share with my readers.

CONSOLIDATING YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK EFFORTS:
Start with one (see the offer above) of the networks. Once you're familiar with one of these sites, you'll realize they are all very similar. And, if you have more than one of these networks up and running then visit: http://ping.fm/ and sign up for this free application and consolidate your messages into one easy (and free) system.

GETTING ORGANIZED:

If you don't have one already, please find an old-fashioned telephone address book for your social networking and on-line memberships. I cannot tell you the horror stories I have heard about not organizing this material. First, if you have it on your computer, and you crash your computer, you have to start over. Second, you think you'll remember but...you won't. I promise.

If you're interested in attending the training scheduled for July 10, then follow the instructions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment